Thursday, December 20, 2018

Can I be held accountable for an iPhone that I sold someone on OfferUp later that was reported lost or stolen?

I purchased an iPhone from a seller on OfferUp whom at the time, everything checked out clean and i used it for about 4 days for my own personal use. I decided that i needed one with more storage, so i decided to put that one up for sale to get the money back i needed to buy a bigger one. It was an AT&T iphone and i met the buyer at an local AT&T store to have them check out the phone to make sure that it was 100 percent clean as well. They activated it on their account inside the store and the sale was made. Well, 3 weeks later, the buyer contacts me and tell me that the phone is unusable anymore - that the phone was just reported lost or stolen. I know that I didn't do it, but they told me that they are going to press charges on me by the local police. Can I be held accountable for this whole ordeal even though I have nothing to do with the phone being reported? The phone had previous owners before me whom i purchased it from.

Read more: https://iphoneus.org/faq/can-i-be-held-accountable-for-an-iphone-that-i-sold.html