Saturday, April 26, 2014

I am moving to South Africa, what is it like?


So basically I'm moving to South Africa in July, and I don't really know much about it… I'm 14 and I live in the US (New York.) Neither of my parents are South African, I'm half Italian and German, we're moving to South Africa because my mom's job got transferred. So-I have some questions:

1. Is it really racist there? One of my best friends is black and like she might visit me or something and I wouldn't want her to feel totally uncomfortable. I know apartheid only ended there in like the 90s, and also my mom said the town we're living in is mostly white, so will everyone be really racist? I'm white btw.

2. Does everyone speak English? This is the one I'm most scared about bc my mom said she knows my school is taught in English, but she doesn't know if all the kids will speak to each other (or me) in English. Do South Africans like speaking English or do most of them speak Afrikaans to each other? Again most of my school is apparently white so idk if that makes a difference.

3. Do they have all the same stuff? Like technology-wise, will I get to keep my iPhone and MacBook? Will most kids my age have that stuff?

4. Is school easier, harder, etc?

5. Is it safe? When I go into the city here I never feel unsafe (NYC btw) but I heard South Africa is so dangerous. My parents are getting a security system and a gate.

6. Do the kids like the same stuff as me in like music and everything?

7. Will they hate me bc I'm American and my accent and all?

Thank you!

Read more: I am moving to South Africa, what is it like?