Saturday, July 13, 2013

Ebay have forced me to refund an item that wasn't returned to me. What can I do?

I recently sold an iphone on ebay and they buyer returned the item because it wasn't unlocked to any network. I would have been happy to refund the item upon delivery, however, it never arrived at my house despite the Royal Mail tracking number displaying a signature for delivery.
Ebay are adamant that this is proof of delivery and as such, will not let me appeal the forced refund. They are suggesting that I make a claim with Royal Mail for the value of the item, however, a claim can only be made by the sender (the buyer who was returning the item to me) so I cannot claim for the value. The buyer also has only insured the parcel up to the value of £50 so even if I could claim, I would only receive £50.
I have disconnected my bank details from paypal and disconnected my paypal from ebay so they are unable to take funds from me but I just do not know what to do. I don't want this to affect my credit rating and I dont want letters and phonecalls demanding payment.
I live in Belfast in Northern Ireland and I've never had anything passed to a debt collections agency but I have heard that because of the civil unrest in Northern Ireland, Debt collectors and Bailiffs do not have any power to make personal contact with you.
I am stressing a lot about this because I sold the phone because I was in need of cash so I cannot afford to refund it if it hasnt been returned to me. What should I do? What will ebay do? :(
Added (1). I have already contacted royal mail. Although they are looking for the item, I cannot claim the insurance because I was not the sender.

См. статью: Ebay have forced me to refund an item that wasn't returned to me. What can I do?