Saturday, September 28, 2013

Can I sue Apple for not cooperating with the police?

Hi there, let me explain what happened to me, so we'll see if you can advice me or not.

On friday 20th september a huge moron stole my iPhone right from my hand, and I couldn't catch him. I called the police, and they now have a regular filled form with my denounce, my details, my IMEI, my serial number, and everything.
I have also signaled my mobile as stolen to the Apple itself. Their spectacular "find my iPhone" app is seeing my phone as "offline", of course, because all it takes is switching it off and/or resetting it.

Some days ago, when I was on my Apple online account, I decided to register my mobile by any chance, just to see if it would change anything. And SURPRISE! My mobile's serial number results as associated to ANOTHER Apple ID which is not mine!

I told the Apple, they said they can't check anything unless the police asks them to. I told the police, they said they were going to contact the Apple. The Apple said the police they "can't help", and that I should check every now and then if my mobile results "online" on their app. The fact is, they know better than you and I, that if the serial number is associated to another ID, this can only mean they HAVE RESETTED it, and thus the mobile CANNOT EVER result "online", because it's now referring to a different ID, not my one anymore.

I told the police that the Apple is deliberately choosing not to cooperate, without a single good reason, and they still won't answer me.

So my conclusions: the Apple can without any doubt check who is the person's ID connected to my mobile right now, and tell the police (NOT ME, I understand I have no right to know any detail of this person, of course!) so that they can find them and recover my phone. The Apple just refuses to cooperate with the police without any good reason.

Can I do anything about this ridiculous situation? Can I sue the Apple?

Thanks,

Cristina
Added (1). Thanks to anyone who gave me advice, and *** off to all the ones who got annoyed for a misplaced "the": the moment you will learn Italian as a second language, and write something like this without getting a single comma wrong, you will have my congratulations.

См. статью: Can I sue Apple for not cooperating with the police?