Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why is my wifi internet so slow? (Tricky issue) need professional!

This is your ordinary problem so please read everything before commenting.

Background: I bought a new router because my previous router was outdated. The new router is called Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router.It worked great at first and I was able to get the 20gb that I pay my internet provider for. (time warner) Around 11 days later it suddenly dropped in speed.It went down to 1.75 download speed after several speed test it kept going from 1.1 - 1.6.
I thought the issue was with Time Warner so I called them and had them come to my home. The guy did some test and said the modem is working fine (at first I was told my modem was offline) later on he told me the only thing he could think of is that someone in our apartment complex bought something new and that was interfering with our wifi.

I went and returned the router and got another one that was the same brand. (just to rule out a malfunctioning router.) So I ran the speed test and at first it was still 1.1gb I ran it once more and it was 6.30.So obviously I'm still am not getting even half of what I pay for.
---…

Now some information that may help:

Yes I have a wireless phone that is connected to the modem BUT for 10-11 days it was working perfect with the phone in the same room.So I'm pretty sure it's not the phone.

Typically we have 3 computers connected to the internet, an xbox 360, and an iphone 5. I'm also pretty sure the amount of things connected is not a problem because for those 10-11 days I was still getting 17 - 20+gb,

I have a 2011 alien ware laptop and a old dell laptop and they both get crappy connection.So we can rule out it being a computers fault.

I also asked at best buy if there was anything I could buy that would help protect my router form interference and they said no.

Yes I have a password on my wifi.

Yes I have gone through every channel in my wifi I think it goes from 1 - 11. STILL extremely slow!

I think I covered everything. I asked several people/professionals and they seemed to be stumped. If you can please help me.

I really appreciate anyone who took the time to read through this and especially those who are able to help.
Added (1). @Leonard From what I understand a better or more expensive router shouldn't matter because it would just give it a wider signal and be able to connect to more computers.

Plus the issue isn't my router or modem. Like I said several days ago my router was giving me 20gb and more than enough range.
Added (2). @Dan when I connect to the modem I get 20gb and I can't move the router or modem any closer. And like I said before I shouldn't need to move it closer or change routers because it was working for over a week perfectly.

См. статью: Why is my wifi internet so slow? (Tricky issue) need professional!