Sunday, July 13, 2014

What year should I set my dystopian/war story in?

I'm currently writing a novel that takes place during WW3. I was thinking about having it take place in 2090 because that seems like a reasonable time period to have a major worldwide war. However, if my characters live in 2090, that also means all technology has advanced so I can't have my characters pulling out their iphones or driving in today's cars. But, since it's a worldwide war, the countries and characters won't have a lot of money so advanced technology wouldn't be affordable.

What year do you guys think WW3 will start, and why? Or instead of going in depth with the new technology, should I just not tell the readers what year it is and leave it a mystery?

Read more: What year should I set my dystopian/war story in?