Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Did I do wrong? Is this considered stealing?


I work at a company were tons of people tend to pass through. One day as I was casually walking through the parking lot before getting into the building I happen to run into an iphone 6. Instead of turning it in to the lost and found I decided I was going to deliver the device personally to its rightful owner (because I couldnt trust leaving it there) so I placed it in to my vehicle. A fellow coworker happened to ask people if they had found a device and I gladly told them I had it. I led them to my vehicle and gave it to them. Now im thinking I made a mistake since I may seem to look as a thief towards the company, specially since no one knew my intentions. Am I in the wrong even after I turned it in? Was this considered stealing? Can I even use this place as a recommendation anymore (worked here for over 8 years) In case I decide to work elsewhere?
Added (1). The phone wasnt password protected but since I was running late I couldnt call or check to see if there was a facebook account I could leave a post in to. I had lost something of great value to me, checked there for a two weeks to see if anything showed up but nothing. Turns out that one of the days I was off, someone happened to have found the pair and turned them in. Only thing is that the same day an employee decided to dig through and took my shades but I never found out who took them.
Added (2). This all happened in the span of an hour. Never saw the owner but he did leave a phone number which I personally saw a coworker call to alert them that their device was found.

Read more: Did I do wrong? Is this considered stealing?