Friday, January 19, 2018

Parental rights? Or just plain cruel?

This is a discussion about whether parents should be able to permanently take away property from a child without their consent, let me give you some context here. Let's say there's a child (it's me) above the age of 16, has brought one ipad, one samsung phone, a laptop and one iphone in that consecutive order over the course of 5 years, with the total amount of money spent adding up to be over 4000+ dollars. The guardian of this child regularly takes these devices off the child, everyday at night saying that they are not allowed them at night in their room (despite the fact that I brought the devices I have complied with these rules.) Until recently two of the devices went missing, and the child went looking for them, this went on for nearly a year, and on more than one occasion the child ask the parent where the devices were and if they had seen them. Until they finally realised that the parent had been hiding them the entire time (and lied to my face about their whereabouts). The parent also claims that if the child is disrespectful or doesn't comply with the unreasonable and HYPOCRITICAL rules created (some of which include, NO LYING) So what would you do in my situation? And do you think my mum should be able to do that?

Read more: Parental rights? Or just plain cruel?