Saturday, October 5, 2013

Why is my wife so financially irresponsible?

I can't seem to get my wife to understand that money just doesn't grow on trees. Let's back up about a year. I had been unemployed but doing temp and staffing jobs to help around the house with some extra income.My wife has a full time job as well. Around Dec I started with a company on a seasonal thing that was to last through mid January. We're both in school so we get a refund on our financial aid as well. Well, late Dec I left the assignment to start with a new company. We get our school refunds and I got more than my wife so I wanted a new cell phone. I upgraded the one I had based on our family plan.My wife took her refund and did other things with it at the time. Ok, the job didn't pan out so I was back at home all day playing the house husband role. Several months later I was in a bad wreck that totaled my car so now we're down to one car in the house. This was a bad year for me. I can't find anything for months and months.It's now Oct and I still haven't worked yet. Well, bills are tough for us. I told my wife that we've got to cut back every where we can. Yesterday was a pay day for her and this was her announcement when she walked into the house. "Just to let you know I'm not going to be able to buy that many groceries this week." The next thing floored me. "I'm going tomorrow and getting me a new iphone cause my old phone sucks now." You're telling me that we're gonna have to scrape for the next two weeks to make meals but you're buying an iphone? She then says, "oh, I have a hair appointment in the morning too." At this point I'm fuming but I've learned from past experience that even though we're married I don't have the right to tell my wife how to spend her money. Yes, it's her money cause she worked for it. She's told me that time after time. Well, we go on and then she said, "I want to go out to eat. Let's go to Red Lobster." I'm beside myself at this point. You're gonna scrimp on groceries for the family but you can afford to buy a new iphone, get your hair done, and now you want to go to Red Lobster? How do I get her to be more financially responsible? It's like talking to a brick wall with her. We've been to counseling over some issues but if I bring up stuff like this she thinks I'm just trying to make her look bad. Why is my wife so financially irresponsible? It's not like we're newly weds just starting out. I'm 44 and she's 42.By now you'd think she knew better.

См. статью: Why is my wife so financially irresponsible?