Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My son, 13, keeps taking what is not his? - 1

My son Andrew, 13, feels his life is his Xbox. When he gets it taken away, for not doing chores or homework, we lock it in our bedroom. During the evening he will sit in his room and read or watch tv.By 9pm he is in bed.At that point my wife and I always make sure his games are still locked in our room. Sometimes we will have our iPod on the dresser and it will be gone. We go back to his bedroom and ask him if he took it and he says no. Then we say "give it to me" then he gets it for us. He tells us that he takes it so he will not be bored at night. On some nights he will pick our door lock at 2am, walk right in while we are asleep and take my iPhone or itouch. He is very sneaky about it so we don't wake up. We have new born twins and when we get up with them at night we always make sure the things are there. If not we march to his room and 9 out of 10 times he is sitting there playing his Xbox or watching YouTube on his moms iPhone. We ask what he is doing and he says "I couldn't sleep I was bored".
On the days he gets time to play his games he will not take them he will take food at 2am. He will take a whole bag of Oreos or a tub of sprinkles and eat them in his room. He just makes a mess of it. His younger sisters will go to make there lunch and the cookies will be gone or all the juice boxes. And he doesn't care that it hurts them.
We can tell him that he will have more chores to do now or his games will now be gone for longer. He just says "that's fine I understand".It's like he does not care. And they next night he does it all over again. We have tried to give him sleeping pills, they just relax him he has ADHD. We have tried it all, I need help.
>>> My son, 13, keeps taking what is not his? - 1