Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Need Advice on Child Support Issue?

I'm just at my wits end about a situation I'm in now.My ex wife and I divorced a year and a half ago.At the time of the divorce we agreed on $610 per month in child support, along with me carrying insurance on our daughter and paying half of medical bills for her. Our daughter is 12. The agreement states that I do not pay anything outside of the child support, except for the medical bills. We settled this out of court, although the court signed off on it.
This has been perfectly fine until recently, when my ex has started using this agreement as a blackmail tool to get what she wants when she wants it. She keeps asking for me to pay for extra things that are not necessary, like an iphone for our daughter, complete with unlimited internet access, which I dont agree is proper for an 12 year. She goes out and spends $800 on a shopping spree with our daughter without talking to me or telling me she is going to spend that much, and then sends me receipts and says that I need to pay half of it on top of the child support. If I tell her that that is covered in child support, and that $800 for one child is excessive (especially when the daughter has two closets full of clothes and shoes etc already and absolutely wants for nothing on either side) she threatens to take me to court to gain more child support. Most recently, my ex-wife told me that she thinks that by now I must be making $50, 000 more a year (where she got this idea, I dont know.It isn't at all true) and that she "feels she is owed" more child support. All of this harrasment has been happening at least once a month. The other day I received a letter from her lawyer stating that if i dont start giving her $250 more extra in child support per month that she is going to start legal proceedings and sue me in court for more.
Now, before everyone starts in on me about how i dont want to provide for my child, that IS NOT the case. The fact is, I have as much say so in my daughter's raising and expenses as my ex wife does. I dont think it is okay for her to go out and buy excessive amounts of things for our daughter, without talking to me, but then expect me to pay half on top of child support.
My ex wife does not work. She remarried and her new husband pays for everything. I pay every penny of my child support and buy my daughter plenty of things on my own. She is very well taken care of. Circumstances have only gotten better for her since the divorce.
I am making a little more income now since the divorce, but not enough to where I'm going to end up owing the ex wife $250 more in child support. And certainly not $50, 000 more a year. I know I will end up owing more in c hild support either way and I'm okay with that if it is calculated fairly based on income and not just what my ex-wife feels she is owed.
My question is, is there some way to stop her from using the threat of going to court as blackmail for whatever she wants? Or is it worth it just to let her take me to court? I really dont have the money to go to court and would like to avoid it if possible, but I'm really sick of the constant harrassment and threats and blackmail.

См. статью: Need Advice on Child Support Issue?