Monday, November 26, 2012

Am I ungrateful, or just being reasonable (christmas gift)?

Let me first go ahead and say that I'm thankful for everything my parents have done for me. They are caring and loving, which is the first and foremost aspect of the foundation of a family. I'm 18 years old, and I do not expect them to reward me heavily for what I "should" do in my life. However, even as an 18 year old, I'm treated the same was as a kid. I have a curfew, I can't hang out with friends more than once a week, I'm constantly being told to "do that and that". I don't complain about it, because I'm living under their roof and although they boss me around like a kid, they still love me just as much.So, I'm not spoiled.

But, I'm a little confused now. See, I found a friend of mine who was gifted an iPhone 5, (Brand new in box), and he is willing to make $550 from it by selling it to me, and I found it a good deal, as I wouldn't be in a contract with my provider and I have the money.My parents, as usual made it clear that this is a bad decision, "my friend is a thief", "he probably stole it " blah blah. Anyways, my parents legitimately told me this just a few hours ago.

"Instead of paying $550 for an iPhone your friend is giving you, you can buy the phone at full price ($650), and as your christmas present we'll pay the $100 difference, so that you still only pay $550"

How, *** generous? The same amount of money is going out of my pocket.and they get to call what I've paid for "my christmas present"? How can I be even slightly thankful about this if I'm technically getting what I'm paying for ANYWAY, just DIFFERENTLY.

And when I told them that I'd rather be willing to take my chances by byying the phone from my friend, they got pissed.
>>> Am I ungrateful, or just being reasonable (christmas gift)?