Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Customs/tax on iphone bought in USA, being brought into UK?

I'm going to Florida in June and was hoping to buy an iPhone while there.

It would be an unlocked non-contract GSM phone (same as used in UK).

It costs £699 here or $699 there - working out to approx £530 if I buy in the US.

Aside from any state taxes I need to pay there, will I be charged customs or tax on the phone when I bring it back to the UK? It will be the one phone, for my own personal use (not business or selling etc).

Does anyone have a definitive answer with back up proof? I don't want answers like 'google it' or 'check hmrc website' etc as I have done all of that and still have no clear answer. If you cannot answer the question asked, please don't respond.
>>> Customs/tax on iphone bought in USA, being brought into UK?