Wednesday, May 28, 2014

14 years old and confused with life?

Well, here goes.

As I just mentioned, I'm 14 years old and confused with life.

Society has low expectations of people at my age, and think that our minds are consumed by things things like boys, social networking and One Direction. And as weird as this may sound to you, I have no interest in these things. I would rather be, say, reading up on the political section in The Age.

For example, I was sitting with my group at lunchtime today- They were talking about Youtubers and the upcoming one Direction concert, but I was silently watching people from other groups run around and roll on the ground in hysterics, wondering what our world has come to.

My friends always ask me to get instagram, facebook or a phone (yes, I have nothing but email) and they think my parents won't let me. But it's not that at all. My parents actuallly asked me if I wanted an iphone, but I said it would be too distracting (the real reason, is that I have no interest in it.)

It's complicated, because at school I get pretty good grades, everyone in my year level likes talking to me and I'm known as an overall happy, successful and confident person. But I think what makes me sad is how teenagers these days seem to have no interests at all.

So I guess my question is, am I the only teenager in this world who has any sort of interests (besides the superficial" things) or is it just that everyone is too scared to go against the stereotypes in society?

Any answers are appreciated.
Added (1). UPDATE: when choosing a category, teen/preteen pregnancy and sexuality came up. My point exactly.
Added (2). thank you for your answer, but my point exactly is that I'm not interested in those things! That's why I'm so confused!

Read more: 14 years old and confused with life?