Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Recording through 3.5mm Headphone jack iPhone: What Am I doing wrong?

So I'm sure the source will make no difference but if you must know, I have programmed a drum loop and chord progression in my DAW and I want to record myself playing the melody over this (video/audio). So basically the output of my computer!

Similar (Or pretty much like):

I know, I know. 4 pole TRRS.

After research I found out, "Oh I have the wrong cable."
See, EVERY single 3.5mm cable I pulled up had only 2 or 3 poles or whatever it is. So I spent the money,
waited the week. Here's what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKMSMWI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my mind: One out to My headphones so I can hear what Im doing, and one to the iphone to record

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAON0BI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the latter from splitter to phone.

Well I've tried directly from computer through red wire, and various other configurations, My iphone just doesnt seem to be picking it up from the Computer. It is not my Physical hardware on the iphone, my headphones' voice control, calling and the recording through that cable mic works. (THIS WAS THE FIRST CABLE i TRIED BEFORE THE RESEARCH / PURCHASE, but they're head phones not 3.5mm to 3.5mm and the mic on that thing: subpar)

This dude did it with more cables:

http://www.cultofmac.com/68113/plug-your-guitar-into-your-iphone-and-ipad-with-this-diy-irig/68113/

What am I missing?

-E.
Added (1). also tried cables separate for audio. All good.
Added (2). iPhone 4s / iOS 7.1 > I don't wanna update lol for speed issues >.<

Read more: Recording through 3.5mm Headphone jack iPhone: What Am I doing wrong?