Friday, July 11, 2014

I just got a iPhone 5C with my new ATT contract renewal: Want to sell on Ebay pronto?

I'm selling my iPhone 5C on Ebay. I got it for a small upfront fee when my family plan people all renewed contracts. However, I don't want the new phone. I need the money for home repairs, and 5C's are selling for a few hundred bucks online!

I wasn't present when the new phones were being distributed. The phone worker put a SIM into the 5C for me to activate it. So, I took that out. I have put that 5C SIM card (with help from an adapter) into an old 3GS. I'm old school anyway…

I guess until a buyer asked me a question about a clear IMEI, that I didn't really realize the low cost of the phone is part of the two-year contract since I paid $30 for it initially. I did AT&Ts quick form to unlock my phone using the IMEI number, and they denied it.

A lot of the info I keep coming across on the Internet forums is that "You have not completed your service agreement. You are under contract and must complete the contract period before your device can be unlocked."

I didn't say in my description that the phone is unlocked. I did say it was "without contract" because I figured anyone on any AT$T network could use it as they see fit… My husband says all they need to do is just insert their own SIM Card and the new buyer can use it on ATT. BUT, if that phone is under my family plan's two-year contract, how is the buyer going to be able to activate/use the phone?

- Really confused…

*Phone is not insured through AT&T if that makes a difference

Read more: I just got a iPhone 5C with my new ATT contract renewal: Want to sell on Ebay pronto?