Saturday, November 16, 2013

Should I get my kid an iPhone?

Hello all!

I have a 12 year old and a 9 year old, both girls.My eldest has been begging me for an iPhone 5, 5s, or 5c… she had a Kyocera Rise, but it broke right away after being dropped. Our family has never owned an iPhone.

Over the past few weeks, though, we've had a few incidents which including lying and forgetting homework… we've have some serious discussions and she is determined to change her ways. I understand her mind is still developing, and I remember being that age and making mistakes, so I try to be a little more tolerant. She's said sorry and I can tell she's making a serious effort into homework and telling the truth. She is a straight A student and usually recieves Distinguished Honor year-round. She does do chores at home (she doesn't have an allowance).

I don't really know how to approach this. She wrote a letter that had several reasons and pros to getting her a nicer phone and that even included a description for a less costly iPhone plan with AT&T Next. I'm still unsure - I feel as though I'd be rewarding her for her bad behavior.

I do understand that her friends have these phones. I can tell she's jealous, and she has told me that she has been picked on before for having a Virgin Mobile phone with a small screen. She'll be turning 13 in February, and seventh grade has definitley changed her. She's becoming more self-conscious, and I don't want to her to feel bad about her phone. She fancies a certain boy, and he fancies her. His family is quite well-off and he has an iPhone and an iPad which he brings to school to take notes on, and that definitley has taken a toll on how she sees herself.

Please tell me what you think I should do! Is it rewarding her for bad behavior? How should I approach this? Pros and cons? Please please please help and include detail… I've never parented before and this issue has brought me much stress and grief.

См. статью: Should I get my kid an iPhone?