Tuesday, April 30, 2013

How does Canada differ from America.economical philosophy?

I'm a 10th grade student who has been asked by his English teacher "What it means to be Canadian." Now, I thought I was being smart when I formed my thesis around the following statement: "A Canadian is someone who measures their prowess in life through affluence and not through idealistic feats." Now, this statement applies to first-world countries, not just Canada, and what I mean by it is that people boast about wealth and material objects instead of idealistic things, such as volunteering at a soup kitchen. I recently went to Ghana on a volunteer trip, and I was actually dwarfed in attention by my friend who was one of the first people at school to get his hands on an iPhone 5 (this resulted in me losing faith in my friends).My teacher called my statement out in front of the class, asking for some form of evidence to back it up; I showed him the World Values Survey which states that Canada is the third most materialistic society in the world (behind Australia and Austria).My teacher then saw that I was serious about pursuing this and said that if I could pull it off, I would have a great presentation. However, he asked me a question that I can't seem to answer: Does Canada differ from America in ways that make it more materialistic? The United States is actually less materialistic than Canada (25% of Americans are post-materialists compared to Canada's 29%) and before learning this my answer to that question was "There is no difference, we simply take after the States." I don't think that's the case anymore. I would appreciate it if you have any ideas. What ideas or things in Canada (that are different in America) result in us being a more materialistic society? If I don't, then I might have to change my thesis, which to me would be showing that my teacher defeated me. I don't want to be defeated. I want to show him I'm not just talking out of my ***.

См. статью: How does Canada differ from America.economical philosophy?