Thursday, March 13, 2014

How much truth is in this mail about fraudulent calls from Belarus and Lativa?

My friend forwarded this mail to me a couple of weeks ago. I searched on the internet, but i am only getting links of blogs containing the same message. There are no news article to justify it. Here is the article in curly braces:
.
.
.
{NEW FRAUD in Bombay (and may be in other places too).

This happened to someone who has narrated this in his own words:

" I received a call from someone claiming that he was from my mobile
Service provider and he asked me to shutdown my phone for 2 hours for 3G
update to take place. As I was rushing for a meeting,
I did not question, but just shut down my cell phone.

After 45 minutes I felt very suspicious since the caller did not even
introduce his name.
I quickly turned on my cell phone and saw several missed calls from my
family members
and the others were from the number that had called me earlier -

I called my parents and I was shocked that they sounded very worried
asking me whether I am safe.
My parents told me that they had received a call from someone claiming
that they had me with them and asking for money to let me free. The call
was so real and my parents even heard 'my voice' crying out loud asking for
help.

My father was at the bank waiting for next call to proceed for money
transfer.
I told my parents that I am safe and asked them to lodge a police report.

Right after that I received another call from the guy asking me to
shutdown my cell phone for another 1 hour which I refused to do and hung
up.

They kept calling my cell phone until the battery had run down. I myself
lodged a police report and I was informed by the officer that there were
many such scams reported. MOST of the cases reported that the victim had
already transferred the money! And it is impossible to get back the money.
Be careful as this kind of scam might happen to any of us!

Those guys are so professional and very convincing during calls. If you
are asked to shut down your cell phone for updates by the service provider,
ASK AROUND!

Your family or friends might receive the same call. "

Be Safe and Stay Alert!

Please pass around to your family and friends!
MUST SHARE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

People have been receiving calls from+375602605281, +37127913091or any
number starting from +375, +371 number one ring hang up. If you call back
it's one of those Numbers that are charged 15-30$ they can copy ur
contact list in 3sec if u have bank or credit card details on your phone,
they can copy that too. +375 is from Belarus. +371 is cod for Latvia…

Don't answer or call back.
Please FORWARD AND SHARE this with your friends and family.}
.
.
.
.

how true is this- can someone copy your contacts just like that? I know some apps can do that, especially if your iPhone is jailbroken. Even if they can copy your contacts, isn't it a difficult and risky thing to do, considering whether the length of the call is enough, the person's tone could be different when he/she talks to a complete stranger, or family can actually afford that kind of money?

if i actually convert my "well of salary" in india, even if we say both wife and husband are doing well, in total, the family will probably earn not more than US$4000 per month. Trust me, this is a lot of money for us; our inflation rate is pretty bad, however, when we convert the money into USD, it doesn't say much about anything. And this money is nowhere near the average salary of people living here; its much, much less.

what do you think about this? Did you receive such mail?

Читать далее: How much truth is in this mail about fraudulent calls from Belarus and Lativa?